[cairo] cairomm enums

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Feb 27 11:03:30 PST 2006

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 22:07:54 -0600, "Jonathon Jongsma" wrote:
> Cairo namespace.  For example, cairo_line_cap_t becomes Cairo::LineCap
,,,
> enum value (e.g. Cairo::LINE_CAP_BUTT instead of CAIRO_LINE_CAP_BUTT).

Would you really have a type named Cairo::LineCap with a valued named
Cairo::LINE_CAP_BUTT instead of Cairo::LineCapButt ?

I'm not a fan of CamelCase, but inconsistent style looks even worse to
me. (That said, I'm only commenting on the local style presented in
this message. If gtkmm does things this way, then consistency could
also argue in favor of this rather than against it.)

> Does anybody have any opinions on this?  I'm kind of inclined to wrap
> them in the Cairo namespace, but I could be persuaded either way.

I think you're correct to try to use the namespace for everything
rather than sometimes yes and sometimes no. And yes, cairo is small
and shouldn't be adding lots of values to existing enums at anything
like a rapid pace.

-Carl

PS. My opinions shouldn't hold much weight here. I'm not a user of
cairomm, gtkmm, nor even C++.