[cairo] surfaces and backends

Carl Worth cworth at redhat.com
Tue Feb 28 02:51:05 PST 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:37:04 -0800, Carl Worth wrote:
> Any likes or dislikes about the API should be made soon. I'll add an
> implementation shortly, and if I haven't heard any complaints, will
> push this out to the central tree after that.

I've pushed this out to the central tree now, along with tests and
documentation for the four new functions:

	cairo_font_face_get_type
	cairo_scaled_font_get_type
	cairo_surface_get_type
	cairo_pattern_get_type

I went ahead with the full-enumerated type values in cairo.h. I admit
it looks a little funny if you look too closely, but at least we're
not pulling in any backend-specific header files or using
backend-specific datatypes or anything like that.

The patch does include some private types, (for things like the
meta-surface, the paginated-surface, and the various test surfaces,
none of which are exposed to users of the library).

We can still add functions to convert type values to strings later if
desired.

-Carl

PS. The commits for this change are available on the cairo-commit
mailing list, and specifically in the following message:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo-commit/2006-February/005977.html

Many thanks to Josh Triplett who cleaned up the git-to-commit-mail
script to give a much better subject line than we had before, (though
the formatting of such a long subject on that web page is rather
ugly).

What's quite satisfying to me is to see 15 separate commits for this
"single" change. Prior to git, that would definitely have been a
single CVS commit. This finer-granularity history should be quite a
nice benefit when reviewing patches, exploring the history for
regressions, etc. I'm delighted.