[cairo] About cairo_show_text and UTF-8...

Scott Robert Ladd graphics at coyotegulch.com
Thu Jan 5 19:45:52 PST 2006

Owen Taylor wrote:
> Well, perhaps not obvious, but you should be using Pango as the text
> API when using Cairo, just as you do for GTK+ or GDK.

Since I only needed to display one simple glyph (an italic lowercase
theta), I simply *drew* it as an ellipse and line, eliminating the need
to get Pango involved.

You can find the result (including screen shot) here:

     http://www.coyotegulch.com/products/unit_circle/index.html

Thanks, though; my next Cairo/GTK+ application will require much more
extensive font manipulations, and Pango will likely be my tool of choice.

..Scott