[cairo] About cairo_show_text and UTF-8...

Federico Mena Quintero federico at ximian.com
Wed Jan 11 10:55:09 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 08:53 +0800, Mike Emmel wrote:

> I'd say someth on the order of 10-30k i.e a pretty lightweight C object api.
> A lot of the problem is in the fact you drag in all of glib to get GObject.

Interesting.  How did you come up with those numbers?  What feature set
do you have in mind for such an object API?

The point I'm trying to make is that yes, Glib and Gobject occupy a
certain amount of shareable code and data, and a per-process
non-shareable amount of heap.  They are also pretty rich libraries.

Maybe the problem with Pango is just that of documentation.  The
reference docs [1] are pretty complete, but they are definitely not a
tutorial.  The provided example about Pango+Cairo is hard to find [2].
And the reference docs certainly don't provide examples about a simple
"how do I paint some text".  We certainly welcome improvements to that.
Tell me if you have trouble figuring out how the Pango docs get built.

[1] http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/pango/index.html
[2] http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/pango/pango-Cairo-Rendering.html#rotated-example

  Federico