[cairo] Win32/OpenGL

Stéphane LOEUILLET leroutier at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 10:16:14 PST 2006

hello,

> As Windows Vista is likely to "emulate" OpenGL 1.4 (not even 2.0) by
> mapping OpenGL calls to directx. Would it make sense then to use directx
> rather then OpenGL as cairo backend on windows? I have program that will
> use cairo and unfortunate majority of my customers use Windows so I am
> concerned by this issue.

Vista would emulate OpenGL only if your driver doesn't provide an ICD
(like it does actually)
with XP and lower, it emulates GL 1.1 in pure software if no ICD
present. only change is that it would emulate GL 1.4, partly
accelerated via Dx.

So, if your driver provides an ICD, you'll see no change, as it won't
use MS emulation.

Anyway; it's true that it would be good if someone provided a Dx
backend (OR GDI/GDI+)

Stéphane Loeuillet