[cairo] Win32/OpenGL

Damian Dixon Damian.Dixon at tenet.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 03:03:22 PST 2006

Hi,

The situation with Windows Vista and OpenGL is not very clear.

Currently it looks like if you want the new eye-candy in Vista you have
to use the M$ emulation (that may call Direct 3D).

If you want to use the Graphics Card vendors OpenGL then you lose the
eye-candy.

Have a look at the discussions on www.opengl.org (top topic on the main
page).

Please if you have concerns tell your graphics card provider and M$.
There may still be time to apply pressure on M$.

ATI and NVIDIA say they will provide a fully integrated solution if M$
provides them with the needed information. At present M$ is not being
very helpful.

So it looks like for now that DX and/or GDI/GDI+ backend would be
required for Cario, to keep the end-users happy (because they don't
know/understand the issues). Personally I would say lose the eye-candy
on Vista!

Currently we only support OpenGL and don't have any plans on Windows to
go down the Direct-X route. The cost to our Windows customers would be
too high to do the port.

Regards
Damian

--
Damian Dixon, BSc(Hons), BSc(Hons), FRGS.
TENET Technology Ltd., North Heath Lane, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12
Email: damian.dixon at tenet.co.uk
http://www.tenet.co.uk
*
TENET
Defence Ltd.

This email and any attachments may contain confidential information
and/or
copyright material. It is intended for the use of the addressee only and
any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this email by
mistake, please advise the sender by using the reply facility in your
email software.