[cairo] About cairo_show_text and UTF-8...

Damon Chaplin damon at karuna.uklinux.net
Wed Jan 18 07:40:53 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 11:14 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Damon Chaplin wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 09:47 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> >
> > > Next version of Pango has support for ATSUI.  On Windows Pango
> > > uses Uniscribe for most of the stuff.
> >
> > Is there a danger that the layout of a document will change depending on
> > which platform you are on? That would be bad, wouldn't it?
>
> Almost all two different systems have different resolutions, set
> of installed fonts, font rendering libraries or versions of those
> libraries, etc, so the layout is going to be different most
> probably anyway.  No, I don't think it would be bad.

The Pango shaping code & the font rendering code will stabilize
eventually, and we can work around problems with different installed
fonts. So I think we can support the same layout across platforms.

Maybe in the short term Uniscribe or ATSUI might be better, since they
may have better support for certain scripts. But in the long term I'd
prefer to use the same shaping code everywhere (or at least have the
option to do that).

Damon