PS/PDF API Change Proposal: (Re: [cairo] Semantics of transparent objects)

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Jan 18 11:12:43 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 09:37 -0800, Carl Worth wrote:

> I'm wondering if we can't just use cairo_t for these, and specify that
> the time to set them is before any drawing operation on any given
> page. That is, just after cairo_create or cairo_show_page, and before
> any of cairo_stroke, cairo_fill, cairo_paint, cairo_mask,
> cairo_show_text/glyphs on that page.

Seems like these are more likely associated with the surface and not the
drawing state.

I see something like:

surface = cairo_ps_surface_create ();

while (more pages)
{
	set page options (surface);
	draw_surface (surface);
	cr = cairo_create (surface);
	cairo_show_page (cr);
	cairo_destroy (cr);
}

In this way, draw_surface is independent of the target, and only this
outer loop "knows" about printing at all.

keith.packard at intel.com