PS/PDF API Change Proposal: (Re: [cairo] Semantics of transparent objects)

Carl Worth cworth at redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 08:26:00 PST 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 09:26:00 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:

> But if not, should be noted that what is currently implemented for
> CAIRO_CONTENT_COLOR_ALPHA is *not* compatible with the white
> ink model. What you get is an entire page printing with the
> a base of the white ink, and no possibility for showing the
> underlying media.

That's not any fundamental limitation. All that would be required to
change that is a setting for what the media color is against which the
ARGB color should be composited. (Here I'm assuming that downstream
processing "subtracts out" the media color component of any ink to be
applied. That's certainly what happens in the common case of white
media.)