[cairo] CAIROMM: Status type and Xlib

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Jan 24 14:12:57 PST 2006

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:17:14 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:

> However, Xlib.h has all kinds of other awful non-namespaced crap in it,
> which can't be fixed without breaking its API. I guess that we should
> keep Xlib.h out of the public cairo headers if possible.

We tried to mitigate the damage of this in cairo by requiring users to
include cairo-xlib.h before they can get at the xlib backend in
cairo. So, at least no users of things other than Xlib will be forced
to deal with this brain damage.

And users that actually _are_ using Xlib will already need to include
Xlib's public headers and deal with the brain damage anyway. So I
don't think anything additional is actually needed.

-Carl

PS. Xlib isn't the only offender here. Many of the "native" header
files that various cairo backends include have similar namespace
nightmares. So we've segregated cairo-<backend>.h for each.