[cairo] 1.1.6 to 1.2.0 performance

David Turner dturner at nds.com
Tue Jul 11 05:49:13 PDT 2006

John Ellson a écrit :
> David Turner wrote:
>> Hello John,
>>

>>> I suspect the problem is fontconfig.
>>>
>>> I'm a graphviz developer, and dot, which is a command line utility
>>> from graphviz, uses: pango+cairo+fontconfig+freetype
>>> Every time I run dot it opens 940 files in /var/cache fontconfig
>>> just to resolve "Times-Roman" !
>>>
>>>    $ strace dot hello.dot 2>&1 | grep open | grep
>>> /var/cache/fontconfig | wc
>>>        940    3760   79900
>>>
>>> Its not a problem specific to graphviz, or even cairo.  The
>>> fontconfig utility fc-match has the same problem:
>>>
>>>    $ strace /usr/bin/fc-match serif 2>&1 | grep open | grep
>>> /var/cache/fontconfig | wc
>>>        940    3760   79900
>>>
>>> Perhaps this doesn't matter much for a gui appplication, but its a
>>> major problem for command line, or web-server applications.
>>>
>> A recent version of fontconfig should be able to use a global cache,
>> instead of having to re-open all font files
>> on startup. Moreover, FreeType 2.2.1 and later contain several
>> speed-ups that might affect performance
>> positively when opening a lot of font files.
>>
>> it'd be interesting to know which versions of these libraries you're
>> using.
>
> I'm using the latest available version on Fedora Development:
>    fontconfig-2.3.95-4
>    freetype-2.2.1-2

this is quite strange, please forward this to the fontconfig mailing
list, they must be made aware of the problem.

Hope this helps,

- David

Information contained in this email message is confidential and may be privileged, and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the postmaster at nds.com and destroy the original message.