[cairo] ld: Undefined symbol: _compress with cairo 1.2.0 on Mac OS X; cairo 1.1.10 was fine

Ryan Schmidt cairo-2006c at ryandesign.com
Tue Jul 11 06:00:03 PDT 2006

On Jul 11, 2006, at 12:53, David Turner wrote:

>>> it depends on how FreeType was compiled. By default, it no zlib
>>> is found by the "configure" script,
>>> the font engine will include its own copy of the zlib
>>> decompression routines, and no "-lz" will be
>>> required at link-time. Another option is to build the library
>>> without its "gzip" module at all, but
>>> I doubt that was the case here.
>>>
>>> so a missing "-lz" in 'pkg-config --libs freetype2' doesn't
>>> necessarily means a problem here.
>>
>> Currently I am using freetype as provided by Mac OS X's X11
>> environment. Apple provides no pkg-config file for this; /usr/
>> X11R6/lib/pkgconfig contains only fontconfig.pc, xcursor.pc and
>> xft.pc.
>
> it must be some pretty old version then :-) Right now, FreeType
> installs both a freetype.pc file and its own "freetype-config"
> configuration script.

$ ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  1736 Mar 21  2005 /usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-
config

$ /usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config --version
9.3.3

I would not expect Apple to update this until the next non-free Mac
OS X update around the beginning of 2007.

I do plan to build with my own freetype eventually.

>> Note again that cairo 1.1.10 compiles without errors, with no
>> other changes to my environment (IOW, with the same freetype).
>
> Cairo's configure probably runs "freetype-config --libs" to
> determine the link flags.

$ /usr/X11R6/bin/freetype-config --libs
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lfreetype

So as you said earlier maybe zlib is built into this version of
freetype.