[cairo] 1.1.6 to 1.2.0 performance

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Wed Jul 12 07:46:14 PDT 2006

John Ellson wrote:
> Carl Worth wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:31:44 -0400, John Ellson wrote:
>>
>>> I suspect the problem is fontconfig.
>>>

>> That doesn't have much bearing on the original problem posted which
>> was a slowdown between cairo 1.1.6 and cairo 1.2.0. Fontconfig
>> overhead should be basically the same in both cases.
>>
>> -Carl
>>
> You are probably right, but I'll just point out that when I first
> reported the
> issue on the fontconfig list on 05/29/2006 I was seeing just 172 files
> opened,
> by the time of my second report on 07/11/2006 I was seeing 940 files
> opened.
>
> So its just possible that fontconfig performance has degraded over the
> same
> time period.
>
> This theory could probably be eliminated by testing both 1.1.6 and
> 1.2.0 with the same
> version of fontconfig, OS, and installed fonts.
>
> John

Forget that.  I'm spouting nonsense!

You're quite right.  The original reporter almost certainly used the
same version of fontconfig for both tests.

Also,  my increase in open() was because I did the second test on a
different machine, presumably with a
different set of fonts installed.

So, while there is still something wrong with fontconfig, there is some
other slowdown in cairo-1.2.0 as well.

Apologies.

John