[cairo] Problem with fonts

Ralph Giles giles at ghostscript.com
Wed Jul 19 09:05:48 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 11:36:09AM +0200, Baptiste Gaillard wrote:

> Hello, i'm comparing different graphic libraries. To test the font drawing performances I draw 40000 times the same symbol in a buffer of 10000*10000 pixel.

No comment on your actual question, but this isn't a great benchmark.
You want to use a variety of glyphs (or texts!) to exercise the glyph
cache. Useful parameters are active glyph complement (~50 for alphabetic
scripts, vs ~1000 for CJK) and glyph size (very large glyphs don't occur
very often, but the definition of "large" is different for printing and
screen rendering). Likewise, switching fonts several times helps test
the font loader, especially with CJK and "unicode" fonts.

FWIW,
 -r