[cairo] Where's the bottleneck in using glitz/cairo/librsvg?

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Thu Jun 15 00:50:15 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 09:16 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> I can't put the tesselator in the X server for several reasons; mostly
> that X requests are atomic, and tesselation is 'expensive' leaving us
> with inconsistent latency for other applications. Secondarily, the
> entire polygon "must" fit in a single X request, or at least in the X
> server memory all at once; I suspect many polygons drawn today are
> beyond the maximum request size supported in the X protocol. Plus, the
> instances of hardware incapable of accelerating primitive polygons will
> shrink over the coming years; designing a system for disappearing
> hardware seems inefficient to me.

Maybe we could add a render primitive similar to the trapezoid one that
allows you to send a bunch of spanlines (stored in some compact way).
That way a non-tesselating software rasterizer can still be fast on
remote connections.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an unconventional albino paramedic who must take medication to keep him
sane. She's a mistrustful nymphomaniac safe cracker from a secret island of
warrior women. They fight crime!