[cairo] Rethinking cairo's build system

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sat Jun 24 10:53:12 PDT 2006

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:43:16 +0100, Damon Chaplin wrote:

> > 4) Building the docs takes too long, (or perhaps it just needs to be
> >    moved to "make doc" instead of "make)
>
> Or you can use './configure --disable-gtk-doc' to skip building the
> documentation.

But configure is slow, so I wouldn't want to have to go through it
again (twice!) just to be able to build the docs and then turn them
off again. So a separate make target is definitely what I want here.

> > 6) Building the docs modifies (!) a bunch of files under version
> >    control. This is worse than annoying.
>
> It updates the template files, but should only do that if needed.
> Is it updating anything else under version control?

It's just template files that I've seen. But there a couple problems
here:

	1) It generates output with trailing whitespace

	2) Different versions of gtk-doc generate different template
           results, (and often in fairly trivial ways, which makes the
           change all the more annoying when they're under version
           control).

> It is now possible to write all the gtk-doc documentation in the source
> code, and not place the template files under version control. That might
> help you a bit. (goocanvas does that.) If you want help with that, let
> me know. (You just need to add an empty tmpl/dummy.sgml file to avoid
> issues with make.)

That sounds like the perfect thing. And I would love help with that.

You should already have commit access to cairo, so if you'd like to
work on this, please feel free to just push the changes out through
git!

Thanks so much, (for the advice already, and for the work in advance
if you decide to do it).