[cairo] Color, Cairo and Cups

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Mar 8 15:38:48 PST 2006

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 17:11:08 -0600, Larry Ewing wrote:

> At the summit Owen had suggested the possibility of using colors less
> than 0.0 and greater than 1.0 still using the sRGB chromaticities, and
> there was some talk of 16 bit surfaces, are either of these still being
> considered?

Something like this is still the basic plan for allowing color input
outside the range of 8-bit sRGB. Perhaps a floating-points surface
type as well. And note that the API for specifying color
(eg. cairo_set_source_rgb) is already floating-point. So the only
missing API here is for allowing floating-point surface input as well.

But there's also a missing implementation, and I'm not aware that
anyone has started working on this area yet.

> I'm sorry if this mail is a bit scattered, but I wanted to see if any
> more thought had been given to these issues before 1.2 comes out.

I don't expect much to change here before 1.2. I really want to get
that release out already, (that is, months ago).

I will be attending the upcoming Libre Graphics Meeting:

	http://libregraphicsmeeting.org

and I hope to be able to have some good discussion on color there. (As
in, please come and teach my clueless self how color works/should
work.)