Another note - Re: [cairo] Help! building on Solaris

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon May 8 10:10:06 PDT 2006

On Fri, 05 May 2006 15:57:31 -0700, Mathew Yeates wrote:

> I should also mention that I get alot of warning messages saying
> warning: visibility attribute not supported in this configuration;
> ignored

The visibility attribute stuff is in cairoint.h in which it defines
cairo_private as follows:

	#if (__GNUC__ > 3 || (__GNUC__ == 3 && __GNUC_MINOR__ >= 3)) && defined(__ELF__)
	#define cairo_private __attribute__((__visibility__("hidden")))
	#else
	#define cairo_private
	#endif

That is designed to hide private symbols in the final library so that
applications cannot "accidentally" link to them, (which could prevent
applications from being able to compatibly upgrade cairo as easily as
we intend).

If you suspect this may be causing a problem you could just replace
the above with an unconditional:

	#define cairo_private

But if the compiler is ignoring it anyway, then that likely isn't the
problem.

Then again, the spew of warnings you're getting about this attribute
being ignored suggest that we may have the details wrong for the
protecting condition above. Any suggested improvement would be
welcome.