[cairo] User font take 2

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon May 8 11:35:50 PDT 2006

On Mon, 08 May 2006 10:34:43 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> I suspect we'll need some kind of 'we're done now' api as the
> destruction of the cairo_t probably isn't sufficient. Other than that,
> this looks pretty good to me. cworth?

Torsten touched on a couple of naming issues that also looked a little
strange to me.

And I think I'd be more inclined to return a cairo_surface_t* instead
of a cairo_t*.

I think we have a nice chance to prototype this stuff internal to
cairo itself right now. With the 1.1.6 snapshot out, I think we've
satisfied the API needs of GTK+ pretty well, (though we're still
missing a couple of things for Mozilla). So the big thing left on my
plate before 1.2 is to emit some real fonts from the PDF backend,
staring with type 3 fonts.

Currently in the cairo code base we have three implementations of font
subsetting. I haven't looked _really_ closely at any but a quick
glance suggests we have:

1) cairo-font-subset.c

	Used only by cairo-pdf-surface.c and based on
	cairo_unscaled_font_t. Uses a callback structure and is what
	krh had written before making the original callback-based user
	font proposal.

2) cairo-ps-surface.c

	Obviously used only by this surface and is based on
	cairo_scaled_font_t. Was written by keithp before making the
	non-callback counter-proposal for user font stuff.

3) cairo-svg-surface.c

	Obviously used only by this surface. Appeared suddenly this
	weekend by emmanuel, coder extraordinaire. Credited as being
	an adaptation of keithp's work in cairo-ps-surface.c.

So, before I go and make a 4th implementation for cairo-pdf-surface.c
I'll try to come up with something that will at least allow some
sharing. And I'll do that with an eye on the latest user font
proposals to see how the interfaces might play out. (The font
subsetting and user font use cases are not identical, but I think
there might be enough similarities to be useful.)