[cairo] User font take 2

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon May 8 12:03:04 PDT 2006

On Mon, 8 May 2006 14:28:07 -0400, "=?UTF-8?Q?Kristian_H=C3=B8gsberg?=" wrote:

> > >     cairo_t *
> > >     cairo_user_font_face_add_glyph(cairo_font_face_t    *font_face,
> > >                                    cairo_content_t       content,
> > >                                    cairo_text_extents_t *metrics,
> > >                                    int                   ucs4,
> > >                                    int                   index);
> >
> > This has a cairo_user_font_face_ prefix but takes a cairo_font_face_t as
> > its first argument.  The prefix of a method should match the object that
> > method works on.  Also, the name doesn't really state that this method
> > returns a new cairo_t.
>
> This is unfortunate, but in line with the rest of the API.

That takes care of the first objection, but there's still the case
that add_glyph is returning a cairo_t* which looks pretty strange to
me.

If we're creating a new object, then let's name the function
appropriately, (create_glyph ?).

And is a glyph conceptually a cairo_t* ? I wouldn't think so...

Is it conceptually a surface? Or is is a new opaque object that
perhaps has a get_surface function that can be called? I don't know.