[cairo] PDF type3 font support; Just bugs to fix before cairo 1.2

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon May 15 14:42:02 PDT 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:55:22 -0700, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> Could I get an indication as to whether the idea of making this work for
> fonts is being considered or has been rejected?

I'm sorry. I meant to mention in that mail that I'm also planning on
looking at this issue.

I haven't yet played with it yet to be able to say for sure what I
think about this. Consistency definitely sounds appealing.

I have been nervous about compatibility. You made one argument (which
I hadn't previously considered):

> Compatability is probably not a problem, for the same reason changing
> the behavior of line width is not a problem: because the current
> behavior is useless, nobody changes the CTM after setting the font.

and that seems fairly appealing. For lines, though, we have a stronger
argument that nobody _uses_ stroked lines ;-) while there are
definitely users of fonts out there (pango and GTK+). So we will have
to at least be careful here I think.

> The biggest problem is that one new API function needs to be added. Any
> code that wants to reuse the font (ie does not set the font) and wants
> to draw things relative to the glyphs will need access to the "font
> CTM". The best idea I think is to add an operator to change the CTM to
> the font CTM, leaving the xy translation unchanged.

Hmm...