[cairo] Crash with very large image surface

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue May 23 17:33:59 PDT 2006

On Tue, 23 May 2006 01:20:24 -0400, Laszlo Pandy wrote:
> I would like to know if this a bug or the intended behaviour?

It's definitely a bug, and I'd like to see it fixed, (along with many
similar bugs where the X limits on drawable coordinates leak all over
into limits within cairo's implementation).

In this specific case it looks like we simply need to fix
_cairo_surface_clone_similar (and all backend->create_similar
functions) to accept a rectangle of interest (x,y,width,height) as is
already available in _cairo_pattern_acquire_surface_for_surface.

But Alexander and Federico still have quite valid points questioning
what you are doing. You yourself said:

>                                                                         We
> also want to have a zoom feature allowing the width to be increased almost
> infinitely, to see the detailed levels in the audio.

Infinite zoom is very useful. But it will make your current
caching scheme entirely useless, right?