[cairo] Problem with PDF-Backend, set_dash and Acroread

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu May 25 03:03:36 PDT 2006

On Thu, 25 May 2006 11:37:34 +0200, Martin Lesser wrote:
> In some cases I can not open PDF-files with Adobe Reader (7.0) when they
> contain lines with dashes. The error-message from acroread is "illegal
> operation inside a path".

I noticed this problem a couple of days ago and made a fix which
should be in the latest cairo from git:

commit e4476dda49b709875b8204567168752c15927480
Author: Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org>
Date:   Tue May 23 13:41:00 2006 -0700

    PDF: Move dash operator before path construction operators.

    I don't recall anything about this in the PDF reference, (though I
    also didn't look specifically for it), but without this acroread
    is quite unhappy with cairo's PDF output when it includes dashing.

> Is this a bug in cairo or in acroread (because opening the file
> with i.e. xpdf works)?

I'm not sure yet. A program like evince reads the file fine, and I
haven't yet seen anything in the PDF spec to suggest that the 'd'
operator for dashing must appear before any path construction
operators.

But anyway, after the above commit, the PDF does work better with
acroread, (and no worse with evince).