[cairo] Game using cairo

Vladimir Vukicevic vladimirv at gmail.com
Tue May 30 10:26:59 PDT 2006

On 5/26/06, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 May 2006 14:47:26 -0700, Ralph Giles wrote:
> > On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 11:11:36PM +0200, Alessandro Pignotti wrote:
> >
> > > i'm writing a concept game using cairo, i don't know if anyone before
> > > tried to use cairo to build game. It's an interesting experiment.
> > > performaces are not really good, using xlib backend and a P3 650MhZ i
> > > can get a frame about every 1,5 seconds. i can submit screenshots and
> > > profile report if you like.
> >
> > That seems particularly bad.
> >
> > There's at least one cairo-based game I know:
> > http://web.mit.edu/xiphmont/Public/gPlanarity.html
>
> And here's another one:
>
> http://webcvs.cairographics.org/cairo-demo/svgspacewar/

And some more:

http://www.zwitserloot.com/bomberman
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~danvk/tower/tower.html
http://www.abrahamjoffe.com.au/ben/canvascape/

All of these are web games built on top of <canvas>; in the Mozilla
implementation, <canvas> goes pretty much straight to cairo.  The last
one is particularily impressive (it's doing the 3d->2d transforms in
JS and using canvas/cairo to renderthe resulting polygons).  They're
all quite playable, especially on Windows.

   - Vlad