[cairo] Stroke vs. fill for rectilinear figures

Andrew Johnson acjgenius at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 18 05:03:34 PST 2006

On 11/17/2006 10:56:07 PM, Carl Worth wrote:
> I am curious to know how often this bug is getting hit. I would
> imagine that rectilinear elements like this are extremely common. But
> when I mentioned this bug to Owen once he said that GTK+ (in the
> default theme at least) doesn't actually use cairo for drawing box
> outlines. But for other themes, who knows?
>
> I know some theme authors have definitely hit this bug, since they're
> the ones who originally pointed it out to me.

Pretty Much every theme *except* default.

Clearlooks, Glide, Thinice, Mist, High-Contrast for sure all hit this, because
as of Gtk-Engines 2.8 they all use cairo for 99% of everything.

If you take a look at theme elements, you will realize, that it is getting
hit for most widgets on screen as well, for most themes.

Benjamin Berg (who first noticed the problem) was able to make huge
improvements for the engines in Gtk Engines, because most of the engines share
a routine for drawing simple borders, so he made one change, and presto, in
some cases after the change the engines in question were as fast, and iirc
even faster than the original GDK versions, for those simple elements that
weren't hitting any of the other slow downs that are currently being worked on
(like gradients).

Mist and Thinice for example were helped tremendously - most of what they draw
falls into this special case. But even Glide hit huge improvements. In fact,
Glide, even using Gradients, is one of the faster engines using cairo after
that workaround.

Andrew