[cairo] New tessellator work and thoughts

Daniel Amelang daniel.amelang at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 15:55:50 PST 2006

On 11/20/06, M Joonas Pihlaja <jpihlaja at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:
> _The_ main obstacle when doing nifty things in the tessellator, I
> think, is that the current tessellator is fast for simple
> geometries, and we need to keep it as fast.

Call me crazy, but why need keep both? You can concentrate on making
one really fast and straightforward for simple geometries by using
certain optimized/simplified data structures or lower levels of
precision, etc. At the same time, you can be working on another one
that can handle the really complex/large stuff with fancy data
structures without having to special case for simple stuff to remain
fast.

Sound like a maintenance nightmare, I know. But maybe it's easier to
maintain two straightforward implementions than one big
one-size-fits-all tessellator with lots of special cases and funky
performance tweaks. I don't know, you guys are the experts. Don't mind
me.

Dan