[cairo] Failure in big-trap test case

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Nov 21 15:57:08 PST 2006

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:13:18 -0800, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> The new 'big-trap' test case is failing:
>
>    http://crucible.osdl.org/runs/cairo_report.html
>    http://crucible.osdl.org/runs/3181/test_output/cairo-test/amd01/test

Thanks for being on your toes, Bryce!

> The error message is:
>
>   Testing big-trap with image target (dev offset 0)
>   Error: Cannot find reference image for ./big-trap-image-argb32-ref.png
>   TEST: big-trap TARGET: image FORMAT: argb32 OFFSET: 0 RESULT: FAIL

Vladimir just added this test, (expecting it to crash), so he didn't
add a reference image. But the test doesn't crash due to some subtle
changes in exactly what cairo is doing with overflowing doubles when
converting to fixed-point, (generating different garbage than it did
before).

So the test isn't useful for what it was originally written for, but
perhaps it is useful as a reminder that there's an identified bug here
that hasn't been fixed.

What I think would be useful would be to write a test that calls into
pixman with the original trapezoid that is known to tickle the bug. In
order to write a test that can do this, we'll need to enable a new
"for testing only" build that doesn't hide all the private
functions. (Once we do that, we could also eliminate the exemption of
_cairo_test from the checks for leaked private symbols. Additionally
we could just not even compile the _cairo_test functions when not in
the "Testing only build".).

In the meantime, Vlad, would you like to just remove the current
big-trap test? Or mark it XFAIL or something?

Thanks,