[cairo] Speedup _cairo_matrix_to_pixman_matrix

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Tue Nov 21 16:45:41 PST 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 02:31:17PM -0800, Carl Worth wrote:
> > Again, I need someone with a Nokia 770 to perform the real test.
>
> I'll report some numbers from mine here. And on another note, Last
> Friday I visited OSDL and delivered a 770 that had taken a rather
> circuitous route to get from Nokia to Bryce at OSDL. I helped walk
> Bryce through getting scratchbox installed and getting a usbnet
> connection to the device. So hopefully that will be coming online now
> and we'll be able to start seeing performance reports from it on a
> regular basis as commits land in cairo's repository.

Yup, I've been working my way through the installation process.  Still
not totally sure what I'm doing, but there's plenty of docs.  I'm
currently trying to nut out how to get cairo to configure on this guy.
Here's the output I've got:

sbox-SDK_ARMEL: ~/cairo-1.3.2-gdb603d6] > ./autogen.sh
/home/crucible/cairo-1.3.2-gdb603d6/autogen.sh: Note: `./configure' will
be run with no arguments.
                If you wish to pass any to it, please specify them on
                the
                `/home/crucible/cairo-1.3.2-gdb603d6/autogen.sh' command
                line.

/home/crucible/cairo-1.3.2-gdb603d6/autogen.sh: running `libtoolize
--copy --force'
You should add the contents of
`/scratchbox/compilers/cs2005q3.2-glibc-arm/libtool/share/aclocal/libtool.m4'
to `aclocal.m4'.
/home/crucible/cairo-1.3.2-gdb603d6/autogen.sh: running `aclocal'
/scratchbox/tools/share/aclocal/pkg.m4:5: warning: underquoted
definition of PKG_CHECK_MODULES
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  or see
  http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending%20aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/gconf-2.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of
AM_GCONF_SOURCE_2
/usr/share/aclocal/audiofile.m4:12: warning: underquoted definition of
AM_PATH_AUDIOFILE
/scratchbox/tools/share/aclocal/pkg.m4:5: error: m4_defn: undefined
macro: _m4_divert_diversion
/usr/share/aclocal/pkg.m4:114: PKG_CHECK_MODULES is expanded from...
/scratchbox/tools/share/aclocal/pkg.m4:5: the top level
autom4te: /scratchbox/tools/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1

I also tried the hello-world program but also got a configure error,
which makes me suspect I need to set something...

[sbox-SDK_ARMEL: ~/hello-world] > ./autogen.sh
+ aclocal
/scratchbox/tools/share/aclocal/pkg.m4:5: warning: underquoted
definition of PKG_CHECK_MODULES
  run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
  or see
  http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending%20aclocal
/usr/share/aclocal/gconf-2.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of
AM_GCONF_SOURCE_2
/usr/share/aclocal/audiofile.m4:12: warning: underquoted definition of
AM_PATH_AUDIOFILE
+ autoconf
+ autoheader
+ automake --add-missing --foreign
+ ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /scratchbox/tools/bin/install
-c
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: cannot run C
compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.

Suggestions?

> Bryce has even said it would be easy to convince crucible to track
> side branches so we could conceivably use that support to do
> performance testing of stuff like this even before it lands in cairo's
> main repository.

Yes, the one issue is that the branch puller wasn't working correctly
with cairo's git repo, for some reason (probably my own git
inexpertise).  If anyone wants, basically the task is to get this
script...

  search.cpan.org/src/BRYCE/WWW-PkgFind-1.3.1/scripts/git-pkgfind

to work with this command (given a git checkout in /var/cache/git/cairo):

  git-pkgfind -p cairo -b master -d . -T -c /var/cache/git/cairo \
     -r git://git.cairographics.org/git/cairo

(The -T flag makes it do a tarball snapshot; it would be nice if the
script could also be made to generate a cairo diff if the -T flag is not
given, but not necessary just to get cairo branches working.)

Once this works, then it would be easy to pull additional branches, and
include them in the report, similar to what we do for nfsv4:

    http://crucible.osdl.org/runs/branches.html

Here is an alternative idea, which would be even easier to set up.
Crucible is able to watch and pull patches from a website, so if there
was a place somewhere on cairographics.org that developers could toss
patches, I can have crucible watch that location and pull the patches,
run all the relevant tests, and post results.

The patches would need to follow a naming convention that allows
crucible to determine what to apply it against.  For instance,
"cairo-1.2.6-my-patch.diff", or "cairo-1.3.2-g12f8718-my-patch.patch".

(Yes, it would be nice if crucible could apply against the latest
git head, but that functionality isn't implemented yet.)

Bryce