[cairo] Re: Goocanvas: trivial patch, and a request for a "cairo" item

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Nov 29 08:43:17 PST 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:34:15 +0000, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> Yes, I still use cairo's cvs. Though I've been working on a major
> rewrite of GooCanvas lately which I haven't committed yet.

OK. One question I forgot to ask is what's the appropriate place to
talk about goocanvas. If you don't have anything more specific, we can
certainly use the cairo list, (which I've copied here). But let me
know if you've got something or if you'd prefer to use a GNOME list or
whatever.

Similarly, I couldn't find any good pointer on the web to where the
source lived. If you need real hosting, please feel free to use
cairographics.org. You can put releases up there as well, (anything
that frees good code from sourceforge is an improvement).

Just let me know if you need any help with any of that (if you're
interested).

> You can commit the fix if you like. (I have the same fix here, I just
> forgot to commit it.)

Committed. (Wow, that was the first cvs commit I made in a very long
time.) Have you looked at git yet?

> I'm afraid GooCanvas has a more object-oriented design - you need to
> create new classes for each new type of item.

That's fine too. As you mentioned, I could probably write my program
by simply creating one new class and then using it for all my objects
via callbacks.

So I guess all I was missing was an easy example to copy showing how
to create that new class. Where should I look for that?

> I could write a script that outputs the skeleton of a new class, where
> you just need to fill in the drawing code etc.

No need for that I think. Just a good static demo along the lines of
simpledemo.c but showing a new class would be great for me. I should
be able to take things from there easily enough.

> (As I said above, I've been working on a major rewrite lately, so a lot
> of the API is about to change. I'll try to commit the new stuff later
> today.)

Sounds great. I'll look forward to that. (And to plug git again, it's
sure nice when major rewrites can land with finer granularity than a
single mega-commit.)