[cairo] ATSUI?

Vladimir Vukicevic vladimir at pobox.com
Mon Oct 2 12:49:30 PDT 2006

----- Ryan Schmidt <cairo-2006c at ryandesign.com> wrote:
> I've been reading many messages on the list lately about how cairo
> only contains a minimal text API for playing around and for anything
>
> "real" one should use ATSUI on Mac or Uniscribe on Windows or Pango
> on anything else.
>
> How does cairo's --enable-atsui option relate to this? Does cairo
> only use ATSUI in the toy text API then, or is this option still
> applicable somehow if I'm also using Pango?

--enable-atsui simply enables code to allow cairo to rendering glyphs using ATSUI, which is the basic text rendering operation that cairo provides.  As Behdad said, you'll need to enable this to build pango with atsui support, or to be able to render glyphs that you obtain/calculate any other way through cairo.  This also enables an atsui-backed toy text API, but it's still the toy text API.

    - Vlad