[cairo] Problem with text rendering on Win32+ClearType, and possible fix

Tor Lillqvist tml at iki.fi
Wed Oct 4 13:04:24 PDT 2006

Owen Taylor writes:
 > It does look that the current trunk code does the right thing
 > again for BITSPIXEL==32 -- uses CAIRO_FORMAT_RGB24;

Oh good. I guess I cannot go too wrong then if I start distributing a
win32 build of a patched 1.2.4 with (just) that change? Or is the
trunk getting near a release soonish?

 > I'm not sure how that corresponds to what Tor was testing with.

I was looking at 1.0.4 and 1.2.4, which for BITSPIXEL==32 use ARGB32.
I must admit I have been too lazy to learn this newfangled git thingie
(or even get a client), so I haven't had any look at trunk.

 > Maybe if for win32 pixman code still isn't using MMX, but well, decent
 > performance of cairo does pretty depend on the MMX code paths.

At least still in 1.2.4, the MMX stuff uses gcc inline asm syntax and
other gcc-specific magic, so those who use MSVC to build cairo
lose. (That includes the Mozilla folks, I assume. And us who want to
build OO.o to use cairo also on Win32.)

--tml