[cairo] Cairo build on Solaris 10

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Oct 18 14:32:55 PDT 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:22:48 -0400, "Dominic Lachowicz" wrote:
> I can confirm that Sun's CC doesn't handle the visibility attribute
> like GCC does, and that this sort of patch fixed my company's
> problems.

I'm confused. You say "Sun's CC" and "GCC". The patch:

> On 10/18/06, skip at pobox.com <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
> > The patch in this mail message:
> >
> >     http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-bugs/2005/10/18/0013.html
> >
> > appears to be required to build Cairo 1.2.x on Solaris 10.

has:

	-#if __GNUC__ >= 3 && defined(__ELF__)
	+#if __GNUC__ >= 3 && defined(__ELF__) && !defined(__sun__)

So why does that help? Is "Sun's CC" a variant of gcc that doesn't
support the same features? It it a non-variant of gcc that still
defines __GNUC__ ? Either of those situations sound like things that
should just not be happening.

Or is Sun's CC just a variant of gcc that happens to have a bug in
this area? If so, has it been reported? Do we know what versions have
the bug so that we can limit the disabling here to known-buggy
versions?

I like to improve cairo's portability, but I don't want to disable the
(very useful) internal symbol hiding for people using a functional
build of gcc on Solaris.

Can people help me understand what's happening here?