[cairo] Fwd: Qt Vs Cairo performance comparison

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Oct 25 14:42:47 PDT 2006

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:02:14 +0200, "Bogdan Nicula" wrote:

> >There shouldn't be a --enable option for it.  Instead, it should run
> >code in configure to detect whether the fast conversion works.
>
> Please don't introduce compiled tests that run at configure time, as this
> makes cross-compiling painful.

My goal is to get things to work as reliably as possible which means
making checks like this as automated as possible. If we use
configure-time compile-and-run tests and use the autoconf cache
support then:

1. We have automation for native compilation

2. We have automation for cross compilation when using scratchbox with
   CPU transparency[*], (either through an emulator or through remote
   execution on the target)

3. We can still provide means for users to manually select the options
   to avoid any attempt to run configure-time checks. This could be
   with --enable options or just be having the user prime the autoconf
   cache. The cache priming is the way GTK+ recommends people doing
   cross-compilation build that library for example:

	http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-cross-compiling.html

-Carl

[*] This stuff is black magic, but it's very, very cool. Some setup
information is here:

http://www.scratchbox.org/documentation/user/scratchbox-0.9.7/usage/transparency.html

and the Nokia 770 supports this stuff by default, (at least with its
"developer" image).