[cairo] PDF Issue in OS X Preview

Ryan Schmidt cairo-2006d at ryandesign.com
Wed Oct 25 15:28:40 PDT 2006

On Oct 25, 2006, at 11:55, Ken Treis wrote:

> I'm generating PDFs using the Ruby bindings and cairo-1.2.4.
> Everything works fine for me until I try to set scaling. The
> resulting PDF files look fine in Acrobat Reader but not in OS X
> Preview.

[snip]

Thanks for writing. I too reported a problem with cairo-generated
PDFs which looked fine in Adobe Reader but not OS X Preview. I'm not
sure if your case is the same as the one I was seeing. My problem was
that my PDFs are generated by graphviz, and I was unsure if the
problem was in cairo, graphviz, or Mac OS X's PDF renderer. Your
message gives me hope that it might be a cairo problem after all.

Unfortunately we didn't get very far in trying to solve the problem I
reported:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2006-July/007344.html

I did get far enough to see that it looks like Preview *is* rendering
the missing curves, just not at the desired offset:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2006-July/007463.html

Note that the glyph difficulties reported in the latter mail have
already been resolved in the current version of cairo; only the curve
offset problem remains for me.