[cairo] filters/image processing

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Tue Sep 5 10:40:14 PDT 2006

I think there is FAR too much worry about making every implementation
draw the same in cairo, and this is really blocking getting things done
and accelerated.

What I (and I suspect most users of cairo) want is that all
implementations "work" (in that there are no missing symbols and the
program links) and that *something* is drawn that is approximately the
same shape and color as the correct result, so you can tell exactly what
portion of cairo is being mis-implemented.

In this case of GLSL, my recommendation is a new interface to set the
compositing to "use this GLSL, and if you don't support it, use this
compositing operation". There is zero interest in getting GLSL or any
filtering to work on unaccelerated backends, but being able to say if
your operation is similar to over or add or clear is probably useful for
making the output more legible when the OpenGL backend is not there.