[cairo] .so PLT entries for local symbols

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Sep 5 13:43:21 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 10:54 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:

> We've had Richard Henderson's PLT bypassing "slim_hidden_proto"
> implementation in cairo since July 2003 (9fecd258a68a915). Are you
> proposing anything fundamentally different than that? The current
> implementation can be seen here:

Not technically no; I'm sorry I didn't understand precisely what that
stuff did, but having checked the library with readelf to find many
local PLT entries, I mistakenly assumed that it wasn't doing everything
necessary.

So, the easy thing to do would be to fix the library so the right
annotations were in place and things worked as expected; a possible
change would be to move to a scripted solution like I did for fontconfig
where the symbols are automatically hidden and aliased; the latter could
avoid depending on careful editing of files to preserve the desired
properties. Alternatively, a 'distcheck' step that checked the .so for
local PLT entries using readelf could be put in place.

keith.packard at intel.com