[cairo] cairo -> cairo c src backend

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Sep 22 11:10:08 PDT 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:43:13 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> We almost have all the machinery for this: cairo meta-surface.

Right.

> Anyway, it's something to look into when we decide to make the
> meta-surface public.  And for the least, we should expose enough API to
> let someone write what you propose externally.  Or maybe not.  I'm not
> sure.

Those sound like thoughts very similar to mine. If we're going through
the effort to make an admittedly special-purpose C-generating backend,
then we should probably just export the necessary functionality so
that others could do similar special-purpose backends around the
meta-surface functionality.

> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 12:56 -0400, Mike Emmel wrote:
> > I've come up with a intresting idea esp for svg frontends on cairo.
> >
> > If we added a backend that simply prints the cairo drawing commands as
> > a C source
> > Worst case is it would be useful for debugging cairo performance
> > issues for various front ends.

Yes, I've had this idea at various times. I've never wanted anything
that would be very complete, (in the cases I've wanted this, I
wouldn't care to get C code to reconstruct the source surfaces, for
example), but it would be convenient to be able to grab snippets of
code or at least some statistics about what operations are being
performed at various times.

-Carl

Behdad, what's with the top-posting? My reply is now in
reverse-logical order. :-}