[cairo] Vector screen capture with Cairo

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 4 04:50:04 PDT 2007

Hi, I asked this question on the GTK app-devel list, but so far no-one
has anything to say about it. I get the feeling the solution is quite
involved technically - either with Cairo or Gdk + GTK internals.

I want to get a vector-based a window capture of a program for inclusion
in user-documentation. This would produce a nice scalable, (and
hopefully memory efficient) way to embed the window capture.

Since GTK and Gdk use Cairo, and Cairo supports Postscript output, it
seems logical to think it might be possible to use a suitably modified
Gdk library to produce such output.

Does anyone know of similar attempts? I presume the place to start is in
the back-ends of Gdk, along the lines of the x11, or quartz directories.

There would also presumably be need to ensure the program starts up and
displays its-self as intended for the screen shot, then exits.

I realise this isn't "easy", but does any one have any suggestions how
it might be possible to proceed?

Regards,

--
Peter Clifton