[cairo] Atomic reference counting [and an aside on using the GPL for libraries]

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Apr 5 15:26:13 PDT 2007

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 23:46:12 +0200, "Peter Weilbacher (Mozilla)" wrote:
> As far as I know you are paid for your work on cairo. Do you think that
> would have happened if nobody had taken up your library because of
> licensing issues?

It's really hard to guess...

(Or rather, "if nobody had taken up the library" would probably have
prevented me getting paid, but it's hard to guess if a GPL license
would have resulted in "nobody taking up the library".)

But that's still mostly irrelevant. I didn't invent cairo in order to
get paid to write it. And I was maintaining it for a couple of years
without getting paid for it.

So, as far as my hypothetical future library is concerned, I still
think I'd choose the GPL even if I could somehow know that I'd be less
likely to be paid to work on it.