[cairo] svg and cairo for GUI experiment

Daniel Brandt dbr at mindglow.se
Tue Apr 17 12:21:59 PDT 2007

Hi!

I am experimenting with scalable in-game GUIs for video games. Right
now I'm trying out cairo and currently I'm looking into loading
svg-files and manipulating them to create UI widgets like buttons and
menues. A simple example use case I'd like to realize is loading an
svg that would work as a basic button, then, using cairo, I'd like to
add a caption to the button, maybe even transform it,  and finally
draw it to a cairo surface.

To do this I need to convert svg-data to cairo drawing calls which I'd
need to be able to store and call in batch repeatedly.

It suppose that is a bit like what is happening in libsvg-cairo, so I
figured I'd ask here if this idea makes sense at all and if you have
any comment on how I'd go about starting to code this part of my
experiment, maybe using libsvg-cairo.

Also, if this doesn't make sense or I've misunderstood something
fundamentally, please feel free to correct me.

Regards,
Daniel Brandt