[cairo] svg and cairo for GUI experiment

Daniel Amelang daniel.amelang at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 14:29:52 PDT 2007

On 4/17/07, Dominic Lachowicz <domlachowicz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Now if you want to dynamically alter the content of the SVG itself,
> > that's another story, and it doesn't have a happy ending.
>
> The cop-out solution is to just maintain a libxml2 DOM tree and create
> a new RsvgHandle whenever the contents change and re-render.
>
> Inefficient? Maybe. But it'll definitely work.

Yea, that was the unhappy ending I was referring to. I've personally
experienced the infeasibility of this approach. It seems to only work
for very small SVG documents.

It would be nice to have a library for rendering _and_ manipulating
SVGs that was smart about what needs to be rerendered. The Mozilla
platform is the only cairo-based software that does this, as far as I
know.

Not that wishing got anyone anywhere :) And I don't mean to downplay
the great work you (Dom) have done with rsvg. Thank you very much!

Dan