[cairo] Solid pattern caching revisited

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Apr 18 12:11:45 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-18 at 10:00 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Can we back up here and discuss why it wouldn't be simpler and better
> to use a per-display solid-surface cache?

That may be easier, yes, but that would need either a new backend
function, or special-casing on pattern type in the xlib/xcb backends.

But a better answer to your question is that we need the workqueue
anyway.  For the scaled-font global cache for example.  Or for freeing
server resources when a surface is destroyed (which may be from another
thread at a much later time...).  So it's not like we are introducing it
just for solid-surface cache.

Also I have no idea if it makes any sense, but do we need similar stuff
in the xcb backend?  If yes, we probably should share more code between
the two.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/