[cairo] Survey of polygon rasterization techniques

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Wed Aug 1 08:00:42 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 01 August 2007 06:45:55 am Kiia Kallio wrote:
> I have to disagree about the relevance of this test method if you want
> to test "raw rendering speed". Especially with graphics HW the whole
> system is built so that the application should keep as much of the
> data as possible on the HW side.

That's exactly what I didn't want to happen in this test (not mentioning that
none of the frameworks we have does this, but it's the general concept of
caching that I wanted to make sure doesn't happen) because it'd be pretty
funny to try to test tessellation and intersection detection by allowing
frameworks to skip intersection detection.  But like I said, my tests are
completely irrelevant for this discussion since they had a completely
different goal.

> If the application re-feeds data that is
> not really modified every frame, it's just doing things simply wrong and
> causing unnecessary overhead everywhere.

Unfortunately this is also a case we have to make work and work well.