[cairo] Cairo 1.4.10 and maemo (multi-thread text rendering)

Jan Slupski jslupski at juljas.net
Fri Aug 17 10:51:36 PDT 2007

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

>> Preliminary versions of that cache, (during 1.3.x development), did
>> cause problems with multi-thread text rendering, but we didn't put the
>> cache into any released version of cairo until all known problems were
>> fixed.
>
> In fact 1.4.8 was shipped with a slightly broken patch too.  But 1.4.10
> should be all good.
>
> We are planning to do another stable release in a couple or more weeks,
> stay tuned.

Hi,

I know nothing about maemo, so I'm not sure if that information is at
all relevant, but if maemo uses FreeType font engine (via Cairo) for
text rendering, any multithread usage is quite a risk unless David
Turner's patches are applied.

For more information see here:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2007-April/010289.html
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2007-February/thread.html#9512 thread

Moreover, I have report (but couldn't reproduce to prepare a bug report),
that, WITH David Turner patches, under high load threads are sometimes
deadlocking.

BTW, there is one more still not resolved issue in win32 environment -
usage of single DC for all win32 threads:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2007-February/009619.html

Regards,
Jan Slupski

  |_| | | | \|                             http://juljas.net/