[cairo] pixman-1.pc provides wrong libname

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sat Aug 25 19:40:39 PDT 2007

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 03:59:57 +0200, Dennis Heuer wrote:
> right places to let xorg-server take pixman-1.pc instead of the checked
> for pixman.pc, things first seemed to work. however, only the header
> file was found correctly. this is, to make a cut here, because the file
> pixman-1.pc provides -lpixman instead of -lpixman-1. in result,
> xorg-server always found the old version and caused bad reference calls.

Yeah, I've felt this pain. The name change from "pixman" to "pixman-1"
was a well-intentioned effort to avoid future compatibility
problems. However, the change caused plenty of current compatibility
problems.

I would have preferred to have the name just be "pixman" for now, and
to later have changed to "pixman2" once we intended to support two
incompatible versions. As is now, we've got some "pixman" and some
"pixman-1" even though there aren't any two separate releases of
anything requiring two different pixman libraries. It would almost be
nice to go back, but it might just cause more pain again.

But, then again, I'm not the maintainer of pixman. Søren has said he
wants that job. So he gets to make the call.

And getting back to your original question, current checkouts of both
pixman and xserver should work together just fine. Are they not?

For example, the pixman-1.pc file I have contains:

	Libs: -L${libdir} -lpixman-1