[cairo] drawing on and reusing an off-screen image surface

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Dec 3 15:08:35 PST 2007

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 17:02:04 -0600, Peter Groves wrote:
> I nominate the above explanation for the faq! (If there is one.) In
> retrospect, this is what I've been after the whole time.

I'm glad it helped.

And yes, there is a FAQ:

	http://cairographics.org/FAQ

And it's a freely-editable wiki, so please feel free to take the above
and reword it as a question and answer as would make sense. What's the
question, though?

> After I get my app working, I'll try to summarize all this in a brief
> tutorial and post it somewhere. I think this is a case
> where the api's are correct and complete, but it's still difficult to
> see the big picture from them. Cairo has good high level overviews and
> good api's, but it's still easy to get lost. I'm not sure if a manual or
> a large faq or a bunch of tutorials would be most helpful in these
> situations. Regardless, I'll try to help out a little and write a how-to
> on buffering cairo drawings for display in gtk applications.

I appreciate your willingness to help.

I know the "high-level overview" kinds of documentation for cairo are
thinner than they need to be. But often it's hard for some of us who
watched cairo grow and evolve to know what's not obvious. Since you're
in a better position to know what's missing, your contributions will
be greatly appreciated.

Here's the tutorial we have so far:

	http://cairographics.org/tutorial

And it's in the same wiki, so feel free to improve it or propose new
sections, or whatever.

Thanks again. And have fun with cairo!