[cairo] Explanation/justification for tolerance change?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Dec 5 14:32:13 PST 2007

Some of you might have noticed that I had a couple of open questions
in the release notes for the 1.5.4 snapshot I sent out last
night. Here's the promised follow-up for one[*] of them:

The commit of interest says only the following:

	[meta-surface] Adjust tolerance when replaying to surfaces with device
scale

	such that we get a consistent look with different fallback
    	resolutions.

Behdad, can you explain/justify this change please? In what cases is
the output different, and how is it better?

I know that Adrian doesn't agree with the change, so I'm hoping for a
good debate. :-)

Personally, I'm undecided because I don't think I fully understand the
issue yet. But I definitely want to get some good consensus on this
before
1.6.

-Carl

[*] The second issue was whether cairo_new_path;cairo_clip should clip
everything out. That seemed obviously wrong to me last night, but
seems obviously right to me this morning. I was definitely really
tired last night, so I'll trust myself today unless anyone wants to
raise any issue here.