[cairo] I don't see the pattern

Donn donn.ingle at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 08:19:57 PST 2007

Gerdus,
> From my own experience caching has not been much help. Visibility
> culling of objects however has been a big win.
I am new to a lot of the ideas here. When you say culling, I take it you mean
ctx.clip()?
If I have an area 400 by 400 and I draw a rectangle like so:
ctx.rectangle(0,0,10,10)
ctx.fill()
Is there any reason to do that in a clip? So, I guess I'm asking, in what way
do you "cull"? What's the overall idea?

> (both for rendering and event handling)
I'd like to hear more about your event handling. I am finding simple
mouseover/out click/release to be really problematic.
 The main issue is that events fire so quickly that they can change *during* a
vital test to measure their states. I have started "locking" a single event
while the code that figures out what's going on is running. This has made
things better, but it makes the user's experience of quick clicking really
slow.

> boost than caching did. In fact currently caching is turned off in my
> app. Cairo is plenty fast :-)
I'll have to try my hand at this caching lark, but I'll keep your words in
mind.

Thanks,
\d
(Also in South Africa -- and BTW congrats on your uxPython toolkit -- that's
some amazing work you got there. I have not had the time to download and play
with it, but it's on my list!)