[cairo] OT: Where to host a GPL project that involves Cairo

Ivan Baldo ibaldo at adinet.com.uy
Wed Dec 12 10:33:42 PST 2007

    Hello.

El 12/12/07 16:17, Donn escribió:
> That makes me wonder, does Cairo use GL if it's available? Or is it 100%
> independent? I have GL working (I use Blender) and did not think to ask until
> you mentioned Clutter (which I just saw for the 1st time) and that got me
> wondering -- perhaps the speed of Cairo has been my nvidia card all along...

    I have an NVidia card (6200), I use the ugly proprietary drivers and
Cairo works faster with the VESA driver (with my app, that is)!!!
    Supposedly these drivers accelerate XRENDER, but it seems that a lot
of time is wasted actually on the CPU (AMD Sempron 2400+ 1.6Ghz), inside
the X server and the NVidia driver, so it seems they don't accelerate
enough for most of the Cairo operations.
    Cairo has a Glitz backend that I never tested (I am doing a GTK
application and I expect it to run on computers without OpenGL accel.),
it uses OpenGL.
    Heh!, if that backend gives a good performance boost, then it would
be nice that GTK used that backend by default for some whitelisted video
cards, though maybe that is kind of hard to do, I don't know....
dreaming is free and nice though, so let me dream :-).
    So the answer is yes, you can ask Cairo to use GL, if you try that
then it would be interesting to see some benchmarks!
    Bye.

--
Ivan Baldo - ibaldo at adinet.com.uy - http://ibaldo.codigolibre.net/
ICQ 10215364 - Phone/FAX (598) (2) 613 3223.