[cairo] Wiki question

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Dec 17 13:05:01 PST 2007

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:33:30 +0200, Donn wrote:
>  I have the latest version of Cairoglyphics and it's now two diagrams which
> will be too big to mail to the list. I want to put them up on the wiki but I
> don't know how to upload files...

Hi Donn,

You're far too fast for me. I think you've asked this question 3 or 4
times over the weekend before I've been able to write an answer.

In short, as you noticed with the /samples page, the wiki can indeed
host images just fine. It's just that the web interface doesn't
provide any means for uploading the images.

Instead, you'll have to start getting comfortable with git in order to
add images. The basic recipe for someone without access to push
directly to the wiki is something like this:

	git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/cairo-www
	cd cairo-www/src
	mkdir my-new-page
	cp ~/wherever/image.png my-new-page
	git add my-new-page/image.png
	git commit -m "Add my-new-page/image.png"

After that, you'll be able to generate a patch suitable for mailing to
submit with:

	git format-patch origin/master

It will create a file such as 0001-Add-my-new-page-image.png.patch and
you can mail that to the list so that someone can apply it.

Alternately, someone with permission to push to the cairo wiki
directly, (you have this by the way---but it will require you to get
your ssh key working), can change the clone command to:

	git clone cairographics.org:/git/cairo-www

And then after doing the other steps, instead of using format-patch
and emailing it in, just pushing the new changes directly with:

	git push master